I KNOW that you know that every cloud has a silver lining, and that there is no day but today. That while the grass is greener on the other side, you’ll never know what’s missing till it’s gone. I’m sure you also know that a smile is a frown turned upside down, and that when you smile, the world smiles with you. You’ve tried and tried until you’ve achieved success, because you thought that if others can’t, why couldn’t you?
Life’s Options by Pink Sherbet c/o Flickr
You have to admit that one can find solace in classic lines. Quotable quotes may sound absolutely cliche, but I’ve come to discover thirteen quotes that never fail to pull me out of the gutter. Perhaps they can help you when you need some picker-uppers too.
Quotable quotes to lift you up
1. The quote for when you need to bring back focus on the blessings you have now or for thanksgiving. In other words, when you feel like the world is depriving you of goodness, you can center yourself with the quote below.
“I live in a space of thankfulness, and I have been rewarded a million times over for it. I started giving thanks for small things, and the more thankful I became, the more my bounty increased. That’s because what you focus on expands, and when you focus on the goodness in your life, you create more of it.” — Oprah Winfrey
2. The quote for when you feel the world is pulling you in all directions and you feel like you need to choose just one.
“No other success can compensate for failure in the home.” — David McKay
3. The quote for when you feel you’re stuck with the chores again.
“Thank god for dirty dishes, they have a tale to tell. While others may go hungry, we’re eating very well.” — Anonymous
Field of Hope by Road Fun c/o Flickr
4. The quote for when you’re too lazy to fix the house. Also see #3.
“Wash the plate not because it’s dirty nor because you’re told to wash it, but because you love the person who’ll use it next.” — Mother Teresa
5. The quote for when you are beginning to get sick of routine.
“You must always be intoxicated. That sums it all up; it’s the only question. In order not to feel the horrible burden of Time which breaks your back and bends you down to earth, you must be unremittingly intoxicated…” — Charles Baudelaire
6. The quote for when you are getting a mental block or when you wonder whether all this writing will lead somewhere or when you need to feel the rush of creating something.
“We don’t read and write poetry because it’s cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.” -– Dead Poets Society
In the morning in the winter shade by harold.lloyd c/o Flickr
7. The quote for when you are doubting your talents.
“Each of us has the opportunity to change and grow until our very last breath. Happy creating.” –- M.J. Ryan
8. The quote for when you are feeling indecisive or when you’re feeling taken for granted or when you feel like you’re one big doormat.
“I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.” -– Invictus by William Ernest Henley
9. The quote for when you are going scaredy cat on something you’ve never done before.
“A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.” — William Shedd
Colours of Love by Sophiea c/o Flickr
10. The quote for when you want to be reminded what it’s like to be outside your comfort zone.
“I feel infinite.” — Charlie, from The Perks of Being A Wallflower
11. The quote for when you’re going soft on an opportunity that has opened up for you out of sheer fear or laziness.
“You can’t accomplish anything worthwhile if you inhibit yourself. If life teaches you nothing else, know this for sure: When you get the chance, go for it.” — Oprah Winfrey
12. The quote for when you start comparing yourself to others and feel bad because you just don’t measure up (you think).
“People talk about the meaning of life; there is no meaning of life — there are lots of meanings of different lives, and you must decide what you want your own to be.” — Joseph Campbell
13. The quote for when there is backbiting or impatience is coming or you feel like shouting or there are emotional vampires around you.
“No to negativity.” — My friend and I
Rising by Giovanno Orlando c/o Flickr
So here are 13 quotable quotes that I hope help pull you out of any situation that makes you want to bop your head on the table or just hole up in your room. Classic lines like these can help us feel a little bit better. I hope they work for you!