This is an official entry to Dainty Mom’s guest post challenge, on “How to Find Time to Write or Blog.”
To find time to write for your blog, you have to make time to write for your blog. It is much harder than it sounds, to tell you the truth! But if you love writing, and if you love blogging, that time can be found. It’s all a matter of being open to inspiration, consuming it in chunks and bites, and best of all, respecting the flow of your writing.
3 tips on how to find time to write for your blog:
1. Be open to inspiration.
- The more you open yourself up to the world, the more you will be inspired. Do you get cabin fever when you’re stuck at work or at home for long periods of time? That’s similar to writer’s block — the cabin fever of the writer. So…
- Do something that refreshes you. Take a walk. Read other blogs. Try that new restaurant you’ve been hearing about. Take photography lessons. Go on a scavenger hunt.
- Remember: inspiration can strike at the most unexpected places. So go out and open yourself up to inspiration.
2. Consume inspiration in chunks and pieces.
- Jot down ideas right away. You don’t have to finish the article right then and there. (If you want to, go ahead.) You can come back to these ideas later. Jot them down in your notebook, your mobile phone.
- E-mail yourself. I use my e-mail inbox to write down sources of inspiration especially if it’s something I read online. There’s a folder dedicated to these possible blogging topics. See here:
- Write a draft. Similar to the first point: get the ideas out of your head and onto your blog, but save them as drafts. Come back to them later when you’re more inspired to write about them in length. Here’s a glimpse of some of the drafts I have.
3. Respect the flow of your writing.
- Write because you want to write, not because you have to.
- Just write. Write when you’re stressed. Write when you’re chill. Write when you’re happy. Write when you’re sad. The more you write, the sooner you will discover the rhythm of your writing behavior. Perhaps you write better when everyone is asleep. Maybe you write enjoy writing under pressure. You’ll never know unless you write frequently.
Observe these three things and you will have time to blog. You will have time because you will be making time for it. You will be making time for it because you will be fueled by inspiration, whether it comes in grand moments or chunks and pieces.
These are three ways on how to find time to write for your blog. They’ve worked for me. Until you prove these three tips though, these will only be theories for you. Why not give them a whirl? 😉
Tell us: How do YOU find time to write for your blog? Do you think these tips will help you find time to write for your blog?