“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
— George R.R. Martin (A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5))
One of my new year resolutions was to read more. While I’ve loved reading books for as long as I can remember, the past years have been pretty dry in reading land for me. Stress does that I suppose. This year, I wanted to get my bookworm groove back. Thanks to e-readers, I’ve read more books in five months than I did for the whole of 2012.
Currently reading: Talking to Girls About Duran Duran by Rob Sheffield
The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen
Here’s a list of books I’ve read so far this 2013 and how I rated them. I recommend any of the books with 3 to 5 stars.
Read in January:
- City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1) by Cassandra Clare – 3 of 5 stars
- This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz – 4 of 5 stars
- Always the Baker, Never the Bride (Emma Rae Creations #1) by Sandra D. Bricker – 3 of 5 stars
- The Last Chinese Chef by Nicole Mones – 5 of 5 stars
Read in February:
- My Life in France by Julia Child, Alex Prud’Homme – 5 of 5 stars
- Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick – 5 of 5 stars
- 3 Day Potty Training by Lora Jessen – 5 of 5 stars
Read in March:
* Wasn’t able to finish any books this month! Must do better in following months. *
Read in April:
- Why Good Girls Don’t Get Ahead… But Gutsy Girls Do: Nine Secrets Every Working Woman Must Know by Kate White – 4 of 5 stars
- Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern – 5 of 5 stars
- I’ve Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella – 2 of 5 stars
- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling – 4 of 5 stars
- I Remember Nothing: And Other Reflections by Nora Ephron – 2 of 5 stars
- Everyday by David Levithan – 4 of 5 stars
- Six Earlier Days by David Levithan – 2 of 5 stars
Read in May:
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green – 5 of 5 stars (Can I give this 10 out of 5 because I read it twice?)
- Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler – 2 of 5 stars
- Seriously… I’m Kidding by Ellen Degeneres- 2 of 5 stars
- A Work in Progress by Brad Cotton – 4 of 5 stars
Read in June:
I’m currently reading the two books in the picture above — Rob Sheffield’s book, Sarah Dessen’s newest one and not pictured is Charles Bukowski: Locked in the Arms of a Crazy Life by Howard Sounes.
Are you up for a reading challenge? GoodReads has a reading challenge widget that helps you keep track of your progress. You can set your own goal and update the site as you finish reading. I use the GoodReads iPhone app for that. I’m targeting to read 50 books by end of the year and so far I’ve read 20! Woohoo! Do you have a reading goal for this year too?
What’s on your bookstand right now? Please send me your recommendations. I’d love to hear from fellow bookworms!