My Mom loaned me one of her Kindles after she got one of the newer models. This Kindle has been with me since the beginning of the year and I’ve already read 5 books. That’s a milestone for me, having not read more than 5 last year. I was a bit resistant to eBooks in the beginning. How could you enjoy a book without the pages? How could you engage in reading without turning the pages? Best of all, isn’t reading incomplete without the book smell? Ah, I put those worries aside when I inherited my Mom’s Kindle. Might as well give it a whirl.
My, my, the wonders of technology indeed. This skeptic is now an eBook convert. I’m hooked now.
Here’s how I became an eBook convert:
1. It’s easy to read while lying down. No struggling with book pages, making sure you keep your place with both your hands. Now I can lie in bed and read, read, read.
2. Sometimes I read several books at the same time, so it’s awesome to lug around just one book instead of three or more. I bring the Kindle with me everywhere I go. Leaving home without a book wasn’t an option before, and it still isn’t today. What if I got stuck in traffic? What if the person I’m meeting is tardy? What if I want downtime at a coffee shop? Out would come my book. Now, out would come a whole set of books in one little reading device. You’re really not alone when you’ve got books, more so a whole library.
3. eBooks help declutter a room! My books used to take up my whole nightstand. Now it’s clear!
4. You can buy books 24/7. No need to wait for a bookstore to open in the morning. Simply hook up your reading device to the internet and purchase away.
5. Instead of folding down a corner of a book page or underlining parts of the book you like, you can use the highlight feature of your eBook reader. These are all organized under one feature — you can later access all your favorite notes without having to flip through each book.
I still love paper books, but I’m happy I got the chance to try eBooks. If they get me to read more, I’m all for it. Maybe I’ll just spray my Mom’s Kindle case with Paper Passion, a perfume that makes you smell like a book. Then I’d get to read and still enjoy the scent of books!
C’mon and share! Are you an eBook reader? What reading device do you use? What has changed in your reading life since you became an e-reader?