Cheesy Vegetable Soup is great comfort food on a rainy day, or when you’re craving for something that feels like it will rock you in its arms gently and pat you on the head saying, “There, there…”
Having some Cheesy Vegetable Soup on a grey afternoon
with a cozy throw and a good read.
I think it’s all the dairy in this soup that makes you feel so warm and comfy. There’s butter, milk and cheese. Then there’s the veggies that give a little additional comfort that you’re at least eating something healthy. But ah, let those thoughts go away. All thoughts of diet and indulgence will be put to rest once you taste a spoonful of this loving soup.
It’s the kind of soup that tells you with each spoonful: “Everything will be alright.”
It’s the kind of soup that gives you an embrace, whispering softly in your ear, “It’ll be fine.”
Here’s the recipe of this super loving soup.
Cheesy Vegetable Soup (aka The Soup of Love) Recipe
1/2 cup onions (chopped)
1/2 cup carrots (chopped)
1/2 cup celery stalks (chopped)
1/2 cup green bell peppers (chopped)
1 cup tomatoes (chopped)
1 cup unsalted butter
6 tablespoons flour
3 cups milk
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups grated cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
Equipment you’ll need:
What to do:
Here’s the recipe in a 15-second video. I posted this on Instagram!
Cheesy Vegetable Soup Recipe in 15 seconds
If you can’t view the video above, you can see it in this link.
Here’s the recipe written out for you:
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a pan. Save the remaining butter for later.
- Saute all vegetables until they are tender. This is super important! I once took the veggies off the flame too soon and the carrots were still tough. That’s okay if you like your soup chewy. But I didn’t, so I ended up having had to puree the soup twice.
- Pour the sauteed vegetables into the blender. Careful when you do this! If all the veggies can’t fit into the blender, you can do this in batches.
- Pour the chicken broth into the blender. If all the vegetables can’t fit into the blender, save some chicken stock for the next batch to be blended too.
- Puree until smooth. What I learned works better? The LIQUIFY button! The vegetable soup will come out oh so smoooooth!
- In a soup pot, melt the remaining 3/4 cup of butter. This will smell awesome.
- Whisk in the flour slowly. Whisk and whisk until it’s lump-free.
- Pour in the milk. You can use whatever kind of milk you like. I’ve tried full cream milk and it tasted awesome. I’ve also tried skim milk and it was also good. You can also do half-and-half. Go experiment!
- Stir in the cheese until melted. You can use whatever cheese you like. I used cheddar (Eden).
- Pour in the pureed/liquified vegetables into the soup pot. Do this slowly, carefully. If you watch the video above, you’ll hear a little “OW!” in the background when the veggies are being poured into the soup pot. That was my sister. Some of the hot soup splattered on her. So, careful, careful!
- Stir, stir, stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste. At this point, the Cheesy Vegetable Soup is ready to be seasoned according to your palate.
- Serve hot. Top with grated cheese to up its comfort quotient!
When to eat this Cheesy Vegetable Soup a.k.a. Soup of Love:
On a cold, rainy day
While reading a book you can’t put down
While nursing a broken heart
While eating pizza
For your midnight snack
When everyone wants the A/C turned up and you’re freezing your toes off
When you simply need a picker-upper
While watching reruns of your favorite shows in your socks and pajamas
Whenever, wherever you want to
What are you waiting for? Grab your favorite spoon and bowl, and comfort yourself the Soup of Love way. Enjoy!